Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
FAR STUDY GROUP
 CPAnet Forum : FAR STUDY GROUP
Subject Topic: FAR Study Plan Talk (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cpanet
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 02:27 | IP Logged  

Here's something to help you brainstorm and possibly jumpstart your own study plan.  Don't forget to come back here and put your plan in writing! 

It's a visual Studying Methodology tool forum member cpasunj created for his BEC & REG study plan and you can find it here, especially check out the Routine Studying section.  It was great to see "visit CPAnet Forum" under Motivation!

cpanet
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 02:40 | IP Logged  

Here are a few examples to give you some ideas...

Example #1 originally posted a while back by VijiSiddharth:

I need your help to make a study plan. I didn't do the SIMS, as I wanted to be clear with the concepts before I attempted those. I am planning to take the exam in October last week.

Any input would be appreciated. This is my plan, if you guys can contribute to it, it will be awesome!!

1) read the book,flascards( I made for the first 6 chapters)
2)attempt the MCQ's including additional MCQ's.
3)Rework the wrong ones. Take notes on them.
4)Do Sims
5)After doing the same for the next chapter in the following week, look at the flashcards from the previous two weeks and try the cumulative test.
6) After this, revise all the flash cards again. Do the final review. Take the final tests. Weak areas, repeat MCQ's again.

If I am forgetting anything, please please tell me!! This is my first CPA exam. Also, input regarding how much time should I spend doing each would be welcome.

Example #2 is the dialog that takes place in the post How to Study
The post does not address a specific section of the exam, but instead addresses overall strategy and planning and has great dialog...hopefully it will give you some good ideas for your study plan: http://www.cpanet.com/cpa_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21473&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;PN=0&TPN=1

Example #3 is a specific plan from minicre in the How to Study post above:

Here is what worked for me thus far:

Read the chapter once on your own. Then watch the Becker lecture or whatever you are using (if you are using one). If not then just move on to the next step. Next, do MCQ. Mark the ones you get wrong and the ones you just guessed and got correct. Re-read notes, but this time only the important stuff. During this read, you will notice the stuff that is important because you will see it from the MCQ questions. Then make flash cards (although this step may be more useful in some parts morse so then others, for an example reg. and aud. flash cards are VERY useful, as apposed to fare and bec which they are not as helpful, or so i find). Now do simulations.

Move on to next chapter, and do the same exact steps. 

IMPORTANT: after 1 or 2 chapters go back to the MCQ and do the ones you got wrong, or take a "becker progress test on those chapters" to refresh your memory. Remember reptition is key.

Finally when all is said and done. Redo all the MCQ questions again, and mark down the ones you get wrong AGAIN, and write an explanation as to why. Re-do sims if you have time. And re-read only important parts of chpts if you have time.

Yes, I know this sounds like a lot, but IF you do this... YOU WILL PASS the CPA!

Finally, my last point before I stop babbling... The best way to approach this method is to write our a clear and defined schedule for the entire weeks/months you are planning to study. DETAILED SCHEDULE. If you know what you need to get done in a week, you will do it. If you just dabble, you will not get everything you need to do, done!

GOOD LUCK, and hope this was helpful! 

Back to Top View cpanet's Profile Search for other posts by cpanet Visit cpanet's Homepage

cpanet
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 04:55 | IP Logged  

So...what's your FAR Study Plan???

JDMilan
Regular
Regular

Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 10:48 | IP Logged  

FAR approach for me is the the same I used for the other three sections.

1. Go to live classes

2. Read each chapter, usually one per week as it takes me a little time to go through, understand concepts and do the MCQ's and Supplemental Q's.

3. After every 3rd Chapter go over flashcards from chapters 1-3 while working on Chapters 4-6.

4. I repeat all steps above 2x (so in essence I end up reading the book 3 times, doing the Q's 3 times).

5. Do simulations 1-2 weeks prior to the exam date.

6. Last 1-2 weeks I spend 12+ hours a  day studying so I usually take off of work for 1-2 weeks to get really focused on just the exam.

Typical Study Schedule for me Monday thru Sunday

A. Monda thur Thursday study from 5:30pm thru 8:30pm in the office.

B. Friday study from 5:30pm thru 7:00pm

C. Saturday study from 9:00am thru 7:00pm

D. Sunday study from 11:00am thru 6:00pm

That is what has been working for me, as we all know everyone is different.

AUD   -   Passed (2-2-09)
FAR   -   Passed (5-5-09)
Back to Top View JDMilan's Profile Search for other posts by JDMilan

shoebhashim

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 21:52 | IP Logged  

Just wanted to share my study plan & exam tips with some folks here:

They are just my opinions and suggestions. may or may not work for you -- Disclaimer.

1)  I listen to Becker Lecture CD and follow along with he Becker text book.
2) In complete solidarity, I go through the Becker text book and make my own notes.

3) I do Becker Flash cards.

4) Most importantly, I pratice Gleim MCQ's ONLY. No Becker MCQ's. Gleim has over 1700 MCQ's for each module.  If you are good at time management, you can easily do 1300 MCQ's in a matter of 3 weeks.

I make notes of the ones I got wrong. I also make notes of the ones I got right, but for a different reason (which really means I was wrong).

Then, I repeat the question set till I get all of them 100% right and for the right reasons.

5) I stop doing MCQ's 4 days before the exam. I just go over my own becker notes, Gleim MCQ notes and flash cards.

6) I watch a nice movie two nights before, make sure I sleep very well the night before the exam and also ensure, I mouth a delicous chocolate couple of minutes before the exam -- trust me, you feel fresh and  confident!! Don't panic. Infact, on the exam day & time, I tell the PC -- "Bring it on...lets see whose the boss here."

DON'T:

1) Burn yourself last few days. I did that once and paid a heavy price (AUD). I knew the answers but it was preparation fatigue that compelled me to make mistakes. Remember, freshness of mind and body does wonders.

2) Second guess yourself. Get to the call of the question. Try and immediately associate what concept or area its talking about. Think & recollect important learnings in that area. Check to see if its testing you on the regular learning or the exception. First eliminate, the ones you're sure are wrong. Go for it....after doing all this, dont ever second guess yourself.

3) Time management: Keep moving. If you're not sure, mark & come back to it later. Don't waste time on a particular question spinning your wheels. Sometimes when you come back later, you go with a different perspective.

3) Simulations: After reading the situation, I first do the Communication tab. It accounts for 10% of the sim so I want to make sure I draft my written response darn well (both technically and gramatically). Then, I start with the 1st tab.

Hope all this preaching works for me as well on Wed. I'll find out....wish me luck friends!

<< Prev Page of 54 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version