Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
 CPAnet Forum : Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
Subject Topic: Are you kidding me? FL Experience? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
corwin

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 04:47 | IP Logged  

I read at the following web page:

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/DBPR/cpa/licensure.html

The page states that the CPA who certifies the hours must have "supervised the applicant".  It does not elaborate to say that the applicant must have worked ALL of the verified hours under the same CPA.

Perhaps you could get a part-time job for a CPA, working maybe 100 hours on a project.  You also prove to the same CPA that you worked for the non-profit organization.  Then, this CPA verifies all of your hours without having supervised all of them.

Consider the possiblility that such an arrangement would be acceptable to the Florida board.

edit:

I may see another way in, pertaining to Florida.  Using reciprocity, with a license in good standing issued outside Florida.  Florida, according to its B.O.A. webpage is not requiring evidence of work experience for reciprocity applicants who meet the "new" education criteria, and also have a full reporting license in good standing.

As crazy as this may seem, I neither demand nor expect a whole lot of logic in any government's protocols.  If possible, I suggest that you just do it before the rules change again.  Unfortunately, there is no sense of uniformity in the ever-changing CPA licensure rules among the states, with the sole exception of the examination itself.

AUD 97
Back to Top View corwin's Profile Search for other posts by corwin

pl999

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 17:42 | IP Logged  

Actually, according to something I read in the minutes of the FL Board's July/August meetings, I *don't think* this rule applies to me.

If I read it correctly, if I applied for the exam prior to 12/31/08 (which I did), and I pass all 4 parts before 6/30/2010 (which I certainly hope to), I *should* be OK.

Regardless, I still await a reply from Veloria Kelly. To those of you in other states, I hope you are thankful that you don't have to deal with this Board. The Florida Board has to be the worst board out there. From the very beginning of my dealings with them, they have been entirely unresponsive and unhelpful. Horrible.

And I still have an issue with the "rule." Honestly, is it not absurd? Why isn't there more of an uproar? How can they all of a sudden require that? It betrays a total lack of understanding or care for how people in this world ACTUALLY GET JOBS. Some, perhaps MOST, of us, don't have the luxury of picking and choosing CPA firms right out of school. So, we go to work in management accounting, acquiring a wealth of valuable experience along the way. Yet you are really going to tell me that ONE YEAR working underneath a CPA is somehow better than my decade of experience?

That rule really needs to be changed, across the board, for *all states*, because that is garbage, really unfair. How does one go about lobbying to change this kind of thing?

AUD - 91
Back to Top View pl999's Profile Search for other posts by pl999

pl999

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 17:46 | IP Logged  

FYI, here is what seems to be the applicable FL Statute - I'm 99% sure I fall under b) below. I'd better request a canceled check from my bank to prove that I applied prior to 12/31/08. I just have a feeling the Florida Board is going to do its very best to attempt to screw me over.

In any event, it seems to have become even more important to pass these remaining two sections ASAP....

(4)(a)  An applicant for licensure after December 31, 2008, must show that he or she has had 1 year of work experience. This experience shall include providing any type of service or advice involving the use of accounting, attest, compilation, management advisory, financial advisory, tax, or consulting skills, all of which must be verified by a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state or territory of the United States and who has supervised the applicant. This experience is acceptable if it was gained through employment in government, industry, academia, or public practice; constituted a substantial part of the applicant's duties; and was under the supervision of a certified public accountant licensed by a state or territory of the United States. The board shall adopt rules specifying standards and providing for the review and approval of the work experience required by this section.

(b)  However, an applicant who completed the requirements of subsection (3) on or before December 31, 2008, and who passes the licensure examination on or before June 30, 2010, is exempt from the requirements of this subsection.

AUD - 91
Back to Top View pl999's Profile Search for other posts by pl999

CPA_Maya

Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 12:58 | IP Logged  

I'm in the process of filling out the application to sit for Florida CPA.  I currently work under a CPA as an accountant in a property management company. Will this fulfill the 1 yr exp required by the state of Florida? Please HELP...Also, what's considered "industry"?

Back to Top View CPA_Maya's Profile Search for other posts by CPA_Maya

Bigocciput
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 14:18 | IP Logged  

pl999 wrote:

FYI, here is what seems to be the applicable FL Statute - I'm 99% sure I fall under b) below. I'd better request a canceled check from my bank to prove that I applied prior to 12/31/08. I just have a feeling the Florida Board is going to do its very best to attempt to screw me over.

In any event, it seems to have become even more important to pass these remaining two sections ASAP....

(4)(a)  An applicant for licensure after December 31, 2008, must show that he or she has had 1 year of work experience. This experience shall include providing any type of service or advice involving the use of accounting, attest, compilation, management advisory, financial advisory, tax, or consulting skills, all of which must be verified by a certified public accountant who is licensed by a state or territory of the United States and who has supervised the applicant. This experience is acceptable if it was gained through employment in government, industry, academia, or public practice; constituted a substantial part of the applicant's duties; and was under the supervision of a certified public accountant licensed by a state or territory of the United States. The board shall adopt rules specifying standards and providing for the review and approval of the work experience required by this section.

(b)  However, an applicant who completed the requirements of subsection (3) on or before December 31, 2008, and who passes the licensure examination on or before June 30, 2010, is exempt from the requirements of this subsection.

Thank you very much for researching this. I applied in Sept. 2007 and completed my last section in Dec. of 2009. I was wondering about this new rule since the only way I found out about it is from this site. I am waiting to see what the final application packet will contain. This would be truly unfair to implement a new rule while one is in the process and not to even have the nerve to inform the candidate of the change.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version