Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
 CPAnet Forum : Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
Subject Topic: Is the CPA exam grading curved? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CharliePapaAlfa
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 13:59 | IP Logged  

And where is Gleim getting that tidbit of information?

F 60,65,76 4/13/09
Back to Top View CharliePapaAlfa's Profile Search for other posts by CharliePapaAlfa

CharliePapaAlfa
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 14:09 | IP Logged  

The CFA exam grading is curved. There's no real score in it; they just tell you whether you're in the top 10% of passes or bottom 50% of fails, etc.

F 60,65,76 4/13/09
Back to Top View CharliePapaAlfa's Profile Search for other posts by CharliePapaAlfa

rumboj
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 20:56 | IP Logged  

Kfan wrote:
Well, AICPA publicly doesn't want to acknowledge that it's curved. Since some people are getting scores of 99 on these exams, do you really think that they got 99% of the questions right on such a hard exam? I don't think so. Even Gleim says in their testing materials that you just need to score in about the top 45% of test takers.
   Anyways, don't worry about this too much. The key is studying hard and being prepared.

The grade you receive is not a percentage but rather a percentile...as in you did better than that percentage of the people taking the exam.  The AICPA has publicly said it isn't curved but your grade does somewhat depend on what others do.  Remember that before each graded question appears on your exam, it was a pretest question in the past.  That's how they assign a point value to it; some are worth less than one and others more than one.  It's up to you to get it right or wrong but it is completely out of your hands as to how many points you actually earn since that depends on how others performed on the question. 

After they sum and weight all the areas (MC-70%, SIMS-20%, WRITTEN-10%), they rank all the scores and set percentile ranges. You have to have done better than 75% of the testakes to have passed.  My problem is, suppose a bunch of really great candidates took it in your testing window and generally ended up with averages of 85%.  If you scored 83%, chances are you won't pass?? That's just wrong on so many levels.  Granted, many people who take the exam are not even remotely prepared so that's unlikely to happen.

REG-10/19/09..93
AUD-11/30/09..95
CMA--->Done 4/9/10
CIA--->Done 7/15/10
(All Gleim Books and CDs)
Back to Top View rumboj's Profile Search for other posts by rumboj

Kfan
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 21:50 | IP Logged  

Well, just being able to put in the time required is a big obstacle for a lot of people if they work a lot and/or have family obligations, etc. You either have to be extremely disciplined if working a lot or have a flexible enough lifestyle that allows the large number of hours for prepping for the exam in most cases. There may be a handful of people here and there that are brilliant test takers and don't need to study much for the test, but I think that what I've said applies to most of the candidates.
Back to Top View Kfan's Profile Search for other posts by Kfan

minicre
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 11:42 | IP Logged  

Def. Def. curved... Although they say it isn't! I do not believe the final test scores are curved, but the questions are def. curved, because each one has a mysitcal point value. They even say on their literature, not to try to figure out how it is graded and that each questions will have a different point value. If it wasn't curved, than the rules would be in black and white. (AKA- this question is worth 1, that one is worth 2 etc...) But nope, we do not know.. Therefore it is curved! :)

Maybe its my conspiracy theory... but until someone disproves it... I will stick with it!

-79-------78-------77------90->

ALL DONE on 1st TRY, w/Becker!
Back to Top View minicre's Profile Search for other posts by minicre

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version