Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
 CPAnet Forum : Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
Subject Topic: Is the CPA exam grading curved? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
onlyregleft
Regular
Regular

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 20:27 | IP Logged  

I wouldn't worry about whether the exam is curved or not. Just focus on doing well.

AUD: 80 (8/08)

08 Becker for AUD, BEC, FAR
08 Becker & 09 Wiley for REG
Back to Top View onlyregleft's Profile Search for other posts by onlyregleft

passfirsttime
Regular
Regular

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 13:20 | IP Logged  

rumboj wrote:

Kfan wrote:
Well, AICPA publicly doesn't want to acknowledge that it's curved. Since some people are getting scores of 99 on these exams, do you really think that they got 99% of the questions right on such a hard exam? I don't think so. Even Gleim says in their testing materials that you just need to score in about the top 45% of test takers.
   Anyways, don't worry about this too much. The key is studying hard and being prepared.

The grade you receive is not a percentage but rather a percentile...as in you did better than that percentage of the people taking the exam.  The AICPA has publicly said it isn't curved but your grade does somewhat depend on what others do.  Remember that before each graded question appears on your exam, it was a pretest question in the past.  That's how they assign a point value to it; some are worth less than one and others more than one.  It's up to you to get it right or wrong but it is completely out of your hands as to how many points you actually earn since that depends on how others performed on the question. 

After they sum and weight all the areas (MC-70%, SIMS-20%, WRITTEN-10%), they rank all the scores and set percentile ranges. You have to have done better than 75% of the testakes to have passed.  My problem is, suppose a bunch of really great candidates took it in your testing window and generally ended up with averages of 85%.  If you scored 83%, chances are you won't pass?? That's just wrong on so many levels.  Granted, many people who take the exam are not even remotely prepared so that's unlikely to happen.

That is the best explanation I have ever read as to the grading process.  Thanks!

REG: 94

*Passed each section first time using Becker online review!
Back to Top View passfirsttime's Profile Search for other posts by passfirsttime

diabol1k

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 15:08 | IP Logged  

rumboj wrote:

Kfan wrote:
Well, AICPA publicly doesn't want to acknowledge that it's curved. Since some people are getting scores of 99 on these exams, do you really think that they got 99% of the questions right on such a hard exam? I don't think so. Even Gleim says in their testing materials that you just need to score in about the top 45% of test takers.
   Anyways, don't worry about this too much. The key is studying hard and being prepared.

The grade you receive is not a percentage but rather a percentile...as in you did better than that percentage of the people taking the exam.  The AICPA has publicly said it isn't curved but your grade does somewhat depend on what others do.  Remember that before each graded question appears on your exam, it was a pretest question in the past.  That's how they assign a point value to it; some are worth less than one and others more than one.  It's up to you to get it right or wrong but it is completely out of your hands as to how many points you actually earn since that depends on how others performed on the question. 

After they sum and weight all the areas (MC-70%, SIMS-20%, WRITTEN-10%), they rank all the scores and set percentile ranges. You have to have done better than 75% of the testakes to have passed.  My problem is, suppose a bunch of really great candidates took it in your testing window and generally ended up with averages of 85%.  If you scored 83%, chances are you won't pass?? That's just wrong on so many levels.  Granted, many people who take the exam are not even remotely prepared so that's unlikely to happen.

I don't think this is correct. Look at the pass rates - it's around 50%. If the way scoring goes is as you stated, pass rate would be 25%.

That said, I have no idea.

FAR: 92 (Jul 10)

NJ / Becker self study
Back to Top View diabol1k's Profile Search for other posts by diabol1k

Erratic

Posted: 28 Feb 2010 at 18:33 | IP Logged  

It's supposed to be some kind of weird system. It's not a 75%, it's a score of
75. If you do good on the MCs, the questions will get harder, so some test-
takers will get harder Qs than others. So certain questions get you more
points than others.

Back to Top View Erratic's Profile Search for other posts by Erratic

passfirsttime
Regular
Regular

Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 00:32 | IP Logged  

diabol1k wrote:
rumboj wrote:

Kfan wrote:

I don't think this is correct. Look at the pass rates - it's around 50%. If the way scoring goes is as you stated, pass rate would be 25%.

That said, I have no idea.

I disagree.  His definition is the most accurate I have heard.

REG: 94

*Passed each section first time using Becker online review!
Back to Top View passfirsttime's Profile Search for other posts by passfirsttime

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version