Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
 CPAnet Forum : CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
Subject Topic: Keller Graduate School (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Pasduchat

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 May 2010 at 21:18 | IP Logged  

Hi

I am thinking to go to Keller (Devry) for their MAFM program with a CPA emphasis but I am having a hard time finding credible and recent reviews of the school and their program. 

I have read a lot about "your education being what you make of it" kind of thing and that the Becker classes that are a part of the program are good but I am not wanting to waste my time if the degree isn't going to be credible for getting a job.

From what I have read, the school is accredited and the classes should count for the CA CPA test requirements but other colleges are not likely to accept the courses for transfer.  Which I really don't care about besides them being good for the test and job aspects.

I am also considering taking online classes from a local junior college and then the Becker Classes because I see that as being good for the CPA test requirements and taking the test but I know I wouldn't be able to get a masters from it unless I transferred some where.  I already have a BA for Art but I don't know how that would help me in job interviews to say, "Yeah but I did take some accounting classes at the local JC. So of course I am good for an accounting job."

To sum up:

What are people's experience with going to Keller and getting a job afterward in California?

Has anyone taken the second route of JC classes, taking the CPA test and then getting a job?

Back to Top View Pasduchat's Profile Search for other posts by Pasduchat

Donald11
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 14 May 2010 at 15:10 | IP Logged  

I would strongly discourage you from attending a for profit school.  Stick with the traditional brick and mortar schools. I know nothing about MAFM programs, but there are tons of Macc/ MST programs available online from respected schools.
Back to Top View Donald11's Profile Search for other posts by Donald11

KLWashington

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 22:49 | IP Logged  

Pasduchat,

Hi!  I adamantly disagree with Donald11, and I will explain why. However I will start with this:  Please don't "just" get your MBA or MAFM (and not CPA) and think that it is reputable enough of a school to be recognized and honored everywhere.  (That should clue people in... No, I am not a "DeVry" marketing employee.)

Unfortunately, the real world is much like one big Fraternity or Sorority.  "Looks" (Harvard -vs- U. of GA;) "popularity" (reputability and name recognition,) etc. *absolutely* matter in the corporate world, muh more than they should, which is highly unfortunate.  (High school really never does end, does it!)

*However:

I attend Keller Grad School of Management myself, in WA State, and will receive my MBA next Spring, and then I immediately start the Becker courses.  Let me first note that DeVry/Keller INVENTED Becker CPA review, which is the gold star nationwide for "real CPA" preparedness.

Furthermore, literally any school that charges "tuition" is therefore a "for profit school."  It is a business transaction.  So I have to laugh to myself when people are quick to use that term in regards to Keller GSM.

I believe that my instructors thus far at Keller have been fantastic (they are CPAs and MBAs, attorneys, etc.)  For my accounting courses, I much prefer an experienced CPA to be my professor, as opposed to someone who holds a PhD in Business, for example.

Accounting is tough, no way around it.  Some people assume that Keller will be easy and not prepare students fully.  I honestly have yet to find out if this is true because I have not taken Becker courses and/or attempted the CPA.  However, I will tell you that my accounting courses are much harder than literally any course I took during my undergraduate studies at the *brick and mortar state university* I attended before.

My point is, if you plan on getting sitting for the CPA *for sure* and working in accounting or auditing for sure with no doubts, then Keller is a fantastic choice because it gets the job done with no nonsense.  However, please don't think that a Keller MBA alone will hand-hold you down some false sense of security and make you believe you will receive a high paying corporate position.  More importantly, I believe that this applies equally to young MBAs with little work experience who just graduated with honors from one of the top-ranked MBA schools.  Not in today's bleak, cut-throat economy.  Let's remember that an MBA is a credential, and one to be proud of and is definately a stepping stone to a higher paid career.  However, a nurse, or an x-ray technician or an ACCOUNTANT, posesses specific "skills" (not just theories, etc. learned in business school) that allow them to work on specific things.  When the economy is rough, let's look beyond the "smoke and mirrors" - people need the skills.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps you and others!

Back to Top View KLWashington's Profile Search for other posts by KLWashington

Boise
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 11:06 | IP Logged  

Hi!  I adamantly disagree with Donald11, and I will explain why. However I will start with this:  Please don't "just" get your MBA or MAFM (and not CPA) and think that it is reputable enough of a school to be recognized and honored everywhere.  (That should clue people in... No, I am not a "DeVry" marketing employee.)

Unfortunately, the real world is much like one big Fraternity or Sorority.  "Looks" (Harvard -vs- U. of GA;) "popularity" (reputability and name recognition,) etc. *absolutely* matter in the corporate world, muh more than they should, which is highly unfortunate.  (High school really never does end, does it!)

Yes, this is true.  So why set yourself back further by attending a for-profit online shcool

*However:

I attend Keller Grad School of Management myself, in WA State, and will receive my MBA next Spring, and then I immediately start the Becker courses.  Let me first note that DeVry/Keller INVENTED Becker CPA review, which is the gold star nationwide for "real CPA" preparedness.

Wrong.  They didn't invent Becker, they bought it.

Furthermore, literally any school that charges "tuition" is therefore a "for profit school."  It is a business transaction.  So I have to laugh to myself when people are quick to use that term in regards to Keller GSM.

What was the last major research study to come out of a for-profit school?  Their focus is to increase shareholder profit, not education.  Please tell me you can differentiate between the two.  UW's Med School has done more good for the world in the past year than Devry has since its inception.

I believe that my instructors thus far at Keller have been fantastic (they are CPAs and MBAs, attorneys, etc.)  For my accounting courses, I much prefer an experienced CPA to be my professor, as opposed to someone who holds a PhD in Business, for example.

All of my business professors had real world experience and a PhD.  Not sure what your point is.

Accounting is tough, no way around it.  Some people assume that Keller will be easy and not prepare students fully.  I honestly have yet to find out if this is true because I have not taken Becker courses and/or attempted the CPA.  However, I will tell you that my accounting courses are much harder than literally any course I took during my undergraduate studies at the *brick and mortar state university* I attended before.

If you don't know, don't comment.

My point is, if you plan on getting sitting for the CPA *for sure* and working in accounting or auditing for sure with no doubts, then Keller is a fantastic choice because it gets the job done with no nonsense.  However, please don't think that a Keller MBA alone will hand-hold you down some false sense of security and make you believe you will receive a high paying corporate position.  More importantly, I believe that this applies equally to young MBAs with little work experience who just graduated with honors from one of the top-ranked MBA schools.  Not in today's bleak, cut-throat economy.  Let's remember that an MBA is a credential, and one to be proud of and is definately a stepping stone to a higher paid career.  However, a nurse, or an x-ray technician or an ACCOUNTANT, posesses specific "skills" (not just theories, etc. learned in business school) that allow them to work on specific things.  When the economy is rough, let's look beyond the "smoke and mirrors" - people need the skills.

Keller is a mistake and a huge waste of money.  What smoke and mirrors are you referring to?  Keller isn't even AACSB accredited and the tuition is way too expensive.

Good luck to you and I hope this helps you and others!

BEC: 4/3: 82

Back to Top View Boise's Profile Search for other posts by Boise

KLWashington

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 14:55 | IP Logged  

$12K per year to obtain an MBA and CPA in 30mo while being able to work 40 hours a week the whole time (and have a spouse and children) is not that outrageously expensive to me, thoughts anyone? 

Also, Keller is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC,) just not AACSB, and again this is irrelevant if one passes the CPA and holds a graduate level degree.

Sure, Big 4 Firms do not recruit to Keller, but how much more attainable is a Big 4 Internship from a brick and mortar school?  Even 3.5+ GPA students from highly regarded brick/mortar schools, who are actively involved in accounting groups, etc. have under a 10% chance to attain this.  (lol.)

My current instructor attended Keller's MBA program, graduated last year, passed *all* parts of the CPA on the first attempt with high scores after taking Becker.  Oh yeah, he studied for the CPA working 40 hours a week the whole time and now has a high paying accounting position for a huge company.  Personally, I think that speaks volumes about real world career preparedness from Keller, but people can choose to believe whatever they want.

For example:  Take an MBA graduate from any random online accredited school who passes all four parts of the CPA in the first attempt, and for example, was at the very bottom of their class in all accounting classes, what would you call that individual?... An MBA Accountant who passed all for parts of the CPA in the first attempt.

(?)

Since we are all here to obtain CPAs, this really is a rather useless argument.  If we were talking MBA degree only, the subject matter would differ greatly, in my eyes.

Back to Top View KLWashington's Profile Search for other posts by KLWashington

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version