Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
 CPAnet Forum : CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
Subject Topic: Keller Graduate School (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RockyCali

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 12:42 | IP Logged  

KLWashington wrote:

$12K per year to obtain an MBA and CPA in 30mo while being able to work 40 hours a week the whole time (and have a spouse and children) is not that outrageously expensive to me, thoughts anyone? 

Also, Keller is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC,) just not AACSB, and again this is irrelevant if one passes the CPA and holds a graduate level degree.

Sure, Big 4 Firms do not recruit to Keller, but how much more attainable is a Big 4 Internship from a brick and mortar school?  Even 3.5+ GPA students from highly regarded brick/mortar schools, who are actively involved in accounting groups, etc. have under a 10% chance to attain this.  (lol.)

My current instructor attended Keller's MBA program, graduated last year, passed *all* parts of the CPA on the first attempt with high scores after taking Becker.  Oh yeah, he studied for the CPA working 40 hours a week the whole time and now has a high paying accounting position for a huge company.  Personally, I think that speaks volumes about real world career preparedness from Keller, but people can choose to believe whatever they want.

For example:  Take an MBA graduate from any random online accredited school who passes all four parts of the CPA in the first attempt, and for example, was at the very bottom of their class in all accounting classes, what would you call that individual?... An MBA Accountant who passed all for parts of the CPA in the first attempt.

(?)

Since we are all here to obtain CPAs, this really is a rather useless argument.  If we were talking MBA degree only, the subject matter would differ greatly, in my eyes.

Employers like degrees from AACSB accredited state colleges more than degrees from for profit schools like UOP, Devry or Kaplan.  That is why even small AACSB accredited schools are heavily recruited by public accounting firms and big companies.  Some graduate schools will waive all pre-reqs if you have a business degree from a AACSB accredited school.

Clearly AACSB accreditation is important to both graduate admissions committees and employers.  Since for profit schools are both extremely expensive and less respected than AACSB schools they should be avoided if there are other options.

Alumni networks help out job seekers as well.  If the school you attend has prominent alumni represented in the firm you are applying to you will have an advantage.
Back to Top View RockyCali's Profile Search for other posts by RockyCali

KLWashington

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 00:22 | IP Logged  

Absolutely!  I could not agree more.  The level of education so far that I am receiving at Keller is exceeding that of most all my undergraduate courses at the University of WA Seattle.

I could not have said it better!

Furthermore, whether or not a school is AACSB accredited is totally irrelevant when you are comparing two students with both MBAs and CPAs.  Don't you think that employers recognize that if someone passes the CPA, then clearly they put the time and hard work in, regardless of which school they attended?

LOL

Back to Top View KLWashington's Profile Search for other posts by KLWashington

secret_cpa99
Regular
Regular

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 13:38 | IP Logged  

I know someone who went to school with me at a AACSB state school and he pulled a 2.6 GPA undergrad.  He went to Keller after for graduate school (couldn't get in anywhere else) and has a 3.9 GPA.  Hmm...
Back to Top View secret_cpa99's Profile Search for other posts by secret_cpa99

secret_cpa99
Regular
Regular

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 13:49 | IP Logged  

KLWashington wrote:

Don't you think that employers recognize that if someone passes the CPA, then clearly they put the time and hard work in, regardless of which school they attended?

LOL

You'd be surprised.  You act as if someone with a CPA and a MBA from DeVry will get a job over someone with ANY degree (bachelors) from an IVY League school.  No one cares how many times you had to take the CPA exam.  I passed all four parts on the first try with a score no lower than 84, but who cares?

You act as if the real world is fair.  It is not.  Where you go to school matters a TON.  Only go to DeVry if you have been somewhere for a few years and you are getting the degree to try and maybe gain some sort of an edge.  If you're trying to make yourself marketable, pass, pass, pass on it.

I really don't mean to come off as a dick when I say this, but everyone here knows this is true:  most of us (and the people we know), laugh when we see a degree from DeVry.
Back to Top View secret_cpa99's Profile Search for other posts by secret_cpa99

Boise
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 16:22 | IP Logged  

KLWashington wrote:

Absolutely!  I could not agree more.  The level of education so far that I am receiving at Keller is exceeding that of most all my undergraduate courses at the University of WA Seattle.

I could not have said it better!

Furthermore, whether or not a school is AACSB accredited is totally irrelevant when you are comparing two students with both MBAs and CPAs.  Don't you think that employers recognize that if someone passes the CPA, then clearly they put the time and hard work in, regardless of which school they attended?

LOL

You sound like you're full of *removed*.  No alumni refer to UW as "University of Washington -Seattle".  Even if you're not lying (which is unlikely), why attend a strong undergrad school just to water it down with a crap MBA?

AACSB is still very relevant if you have a CPA.  It's not like the CPA is some sort of kryponite for a bad MBA program.

BEC: 4/3: 82

Back to Top View Boise's Profile Search for other posts by Boise

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version