Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
 CPAnet Forum : CPA Candidates: Talk / Help / Tips
Subject Topic: Keller Graduate School (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MrVo

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 14:01 | IP Logged  

I was searching for Keller GSM + CPA reviews and I stumbled upon this forum and I think it's a great source to start.  Reading all of your comments above, I find it "ridiculous" and hilarious to see how high educators such as yourself can resolute to vulgar language to prove a point.  Right Boise? 

Let's be practical.  What do you go to school for?

#1: Higher education
#2: Get a job

Most people resolute to #2.  Incentive pays.  Money is the only concern after we graduate.  But where do you want to go for your job?  Corporate, fortune 500 firms?  If this direction is your desire, go for those prestigious schools that are out there: USC, UCLA, Harvard, Yale, etc.

But, there's a twist to your so called "arguments".  If you want to have a business of your own, the freedom to run your own company, your own politics, your own dictation, does it matter where you obtain your degree?  There is only one thing you should care about: How much you put into it so that you can get out of it.  Period. 

Because you are doing this for your own.  If you have dreams of entrepreneurship.  You are category #3: Have your own business.

Sure, if you want to work for a big firm, have them executives hire you based upon the name-brand education that you received, then shoot for a prestigious school to get your degree.  I would agree with you wholeheartedly.  Can you imagine when you're at a golf course playing golf with the senior executives and when they talk about their education background and where you came from?  How would you feel when they talk about Harvard, Yale, USC, UCLA, and when it's your turn: Keller GSM?  Hah!  If the "executive golf course" (hypothetically speaking) is where you want to be, you better attend a prestigious school to hold your ground.

Now, if the battle ground above doesn't suit you, what's left for your option?  Choose it wisely now.  What would you do with your degree?  Let's use a better term: What would you do with your knowledge?  Run a business perhaps?  Open a small business?  Pursue the entrepreneurial path?  You went to school for that reason right?  If you cannot or don't want to compete in the corporate world and you're happily running a small business on your own that could generate as much as a couple hundred thousands of dollars in revenue stream of income.  Will you be okay with that?

Choose your options wisely.  Any education is good for something.  More importantly, it's what you want to do with it.  Don't force your idea down to someone's throat because their path may not align with your vision.  There are various options in life.  Where do you want to go?  That's what I learned in life.

I am an MBA at Keller GSM.  And yes, an MBA alone won't do you no good.  But it's a good start.
Back to Top View MrVo's Profile Search for other posts by MrVo

almurra1

Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 02:08 | IP Logged  

I truly enjoyed reading the content of this thread. I
wish I would have happened upon it earlier, but I think
pretty much everything has been said that can be said
about the topic. I believe that the foundation of
KLWashington's (and now MrVo's) argument is more
psychological than factual. Most people know that those
places are degree mills (see aforementioned reasons) and
that they are a joke in lieu of degrees from accredited
institutions. I relate the desperation of KL's argument
to the kid who got the 1-speed Huffy when his best friend
got a 10-speed racing bike. Obviously the racing bike is
LARGELY superior, however, the kid with the Huffy isn't
going to say it sucks, he's going to defend it to the
death! I think that KL stumbled upon this thread after
already pitching a disgusting sum of money into a garbage
can; feeling affronted, she decided to defend Keller's
honor. That being said, I can't say I blame her. While I
have no problem with anyone here, let's face
facts...nobody wants to drive a Ford Pinto when they can
cruise around in an SL500, but by the same token, one can
make the argument of "it gets me from point A to point
B".

As far as the level of education is concerned, I believe
the blatant disregard for proper grammar in this
discussion speaks volumes. I attended a respected 4-year
institution and received my B/S in Accounting and
Computer Information Systems through the honors college
at my University. I subsequently obtained my Masters of
Accountancy at the same University while teaching an
undergraduate introduction to managerial accounting
course. I have spoken with "professionals" who
attained/purchased "degrees" from the foregoing degree
mill and their knowledge of accounting was cursory at
best. I apologize, but nobody should CHOOSE Keller if one
has the opportunity to attend a real school.

KL did bring up a valid point when she asserted that
obtaining one's CPA license is what ultimately matters in
the profession. It is, in fact, the quintessential
certification of our vocation (for those of us who are
pursuing careers in accounting). A passing score on the
CPA exam maintains that one has acquired enough knowledge
to protect the public in those respective areas. However,
the profession relies on MORE than just that specific
knowledge to be successful. One must have a high level of
business acumen, finely tuned analytical skills, good
communication skills, and most importantly, professional
writing abilities (e.g. grammar, spelling, etc.). Those
are the integral skills that are not emphasized at a
school like Keller.

REGARDLESS of where any of you decided to pursue your
"higher education", I wish you all the best of luck on
the CPA exam and on all of your future endeavors. Take
care!

REG-78 (Not pretty, but I'll take it!!!)
B.S. Accounting and B.S. CIS
Master of Accounting
Becker CPA Review Course
Arizona
Back to Top View almurra1's Profile Search for other posts by almurra1

jhs01

Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 20:05 | IP Logged  

Is this topic dead?  My brother graduated from Devry and won't even claim his degree.  He tells people his highest level of education is high school... 
Back to Top View jhs01's Profile Search for other posts by jhs01

CPA4bigfour

Posted: 21 May 2011 at 17:46 | IP Logged  

To the person who thinks by AACSB schools are better. You have a misperception that you yourself created. Not the industry.

And you’re also incorrect that the Big 4 does not hire devry or Keller grads. The bottom line is once you get your CPA (by whatever means you get it) the playing field is even. Accounting is accounting. You are not any smarter just because you went to an AACSB school and nor do employers think this.

Both DeVry and Keller have alumni as mangers for big 4 firms. These managers also help recruit efforts at DeVry or Keller. I’m a Devry/Keller graduate and I spent 3 years at PriceWaterhouse (before the merge with Coopers) and spent a year with Grant Thornton and I was just as smart as my coworkers who went to "better" schools. Now I work in investment banking.

The turnover rate at both these accounting firms was very high. Meaning folks who could not cut the mustard did not last more than a single year. Well many of these were the AACSB graduates.... literally walking out the door in tears with their belongings after being fired.

This is the reality.

It's all about preparation. If your desire is to become a CPA then no matter what school you attend you have to prepare. The real world is no respects of persons and not going to just cater to AACSB graduates. Rather you have to prove yourself and industry understands this.

Devry/Keller does a great job of preparing students for the CPA in either its MBA or MAFM program. The Becker review incorporated into the program is a big plus.

But even with this the key is still in the hard work of preparation. Even with Becker or graduate level work you still need a solid foundation of course work to be able to pass the Exam. This comes from hard work and not just the specific school attended.

Gone are the days of the "traditional" college setting and many traditional schools are including in their programs online degrees/classes.  Schools like Duke and UNC have entire degrees now online. These schools realize that there is a trend setting of the growth of being able to get an education other than the traditional way.

So this attitude that AACSB schools are better is just what it is an attitude degrading non-traditional schools. It's basically just hating or a little jealously. To think that I, as a manager in a big 4 firm have been promoted over you who went to an AACSB school would be detrimental to you. Your gona start hating and degrade my school. LOL!

Another thing also is for those CPA's who desire to get into public accounting you don't have to try to get with a Big 4. There are too many other accounting firms that are just as good if not better, that you can get EXCELLENT, "boot camp" like experience to build a public accounting career. Having work for both a big 4 and second tier firm there is no difference in quality and training, only a false perception that has been built around the big 4 that goes all the way back to the 1930's.

Today industry is looking for skills not AACSB graduates or big 4 on your resume. And if you can pass the CPA then you have the skills needed to succeed.

Back to Top View CPA4bigfour's Profile Search for other posts by CPA4bigfour

K-SEATTLE

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 09:49 | IP Logged  

To:  CPA4bigfour
Thanks, well said.  I couldn't agree more.

Jealousy is so apparent in these threads.

- KLWashington (Keller Graduate in Aug 2011)

Back to Top View K-SEATTLE's Profile Search for other posts by K-SEATTLE

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version