Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
FAR STUDY GROUP
 CPAnet Forum : FAR STUDY GROUP
Subject Topic: Kieso Intermediate Accounting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
VTHokies
Contributor
Contributor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 15:05 | IP Logged  

I'm going to start studying for the FAR portion pretty soon and was going to acquire the Kieso Intermediate Accounting book as well as the Government/NFP book that VT uses.

My questions about Kieso:

1. Is it a good side reference to have/does it relate pretty well to the material on FAR? (Probably on another thread somewhere but don't have time to go through the 29 pages to find the answer)

2. As long as it is used just as a side reference, does anyone see the difference between getting the 12th edition with FASB update (Dec. 10, 2007) and the 13th edition (Mar. 23, 2009). Reason is the cost for used respectively would be about $10 vs $115 on Amazon. Thanks!

AUD: 92,60. Pass

Two up-Two Down (VA)
Back to Top View VTHokies's Profile Search for other posts by VTHokies

joecjr
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 15:42 | IP Logged  

I used Kieso intermediate books from college to understand basic concepts that I hadn't used in a while. They were from 2002 and 2003

But for the primary sources of CPA exam information I used the Wiley most current edition and Yaeger classes.

I think 2007 might be too out of date to use because of all the changes in FASB's with fair values.

Also, I used Wiley for The gov't and NFP parts and it was enough for the exam.

How was your BEC today?

REG [80] 1110 Yaeger
Done 12/16/2010
1year & 4months

Philadelphia, PA
joey_cjr@yahoo.com
Back to Top View joecjr's Profile Search for other posts by joecjr

katkelly

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 at 19:16 | IP Logged  

Hi there. Personally, I haven't consulted my Kieso text at all. I have Yaeger HS, so the Wiley book pretty much covers everything I need to know. And if I'm ever confused, I just do an online search. What I've found to be helpful is this:
http://downloadslide.blogspot.com/2009/03/kieso-intermediate -accounting-13e.html

It's all the Kieso chapter handouts for the 13th edition. I think that's all you need if you're fuzzy on a topic; I wouldn't invest in the text.

Do you plan on using a CPA review book, like Wiley, to guide you through the process? I'd highly recommend it.
Back to Top View katkelly's Profile Search for other posts by katkelly

Tajik4CPA
Regular
Regular

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 00:09 | IP Logged  

VTHokies wrote:
I'm going to start studying for the FAR portion pretty soon and was going to acquire the Kieso Intermediate Accounting book as well as the Government/NFP book that VT uses.

My questions about Kieso:

1. Is it a good side reference to have/does it relate pretty well to the material on FAR? (Probably on another thread somewhere but don't have time to go through the 29 pages to find the answer)

2. As long as it is used just as a side reference, does anyone see the difference between getting the 12th edition with FASB update (Dec. 10, 2007) and the 13th edition (Mar. 23, 2009). Reason is the cost for used respectively would be about $10 vs $115 on Amazon. Thanks!

I used this text to supplement Becker FAR textbook. I had the 12th edition and I also got the new edition from my school library. Honestly,  not much has changed, I mean there are changes but most of them you get through your review material updates. If you did ok in college in your accounting classes you will be fine with older edition. I used 2009 Becker for FAR and got all the updates. I am also using 2007 flashcard and add the changes to them. SO far I'd say 90% of the flashcards are the same. Major changes are in consolidations and some other small areas. It is your call in the end. In my case it was cost benefit analysis :)

BEC - 90

Becker 2009 and Gleim 2010, Wiley 13.0
Back to Top View Tajik4CPA's Profile Search for other posts by Tajik4CPA

Alex2008
Regular
Regular

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 08:16 | IP Logged  

What book did you use in Intermediate Accounting?
Back to Top View Alex2008's Profile Search for other posts by Alex2008

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version