Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
FAR STUDY GROUP
 CPAnet Forum : FAR STUDY GROUP
Subject Topic: Current Assets: Cash overdraft (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kookie
Contributor
Contributor

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:29 | IP Logged  

FARleft wrote:
Here is the reasoning behind the deduction of the overdraft.
The checks were recorded on June 29 for $30,000 which immediately created an over draft of ($10,000). However the checks were actually mailed on July 9.
So at June 30, the checks should be added back because they were not a part of payments made in June. The overdraft is deducted because the payments were not made until July (which would have caused the overdraft in July).
When the the $30,000 is added back, it is as if the overdraft never occurred at June 30.
They are making thing right by reversing the transaction (Checks) and the overdraft that was caused by the checks on June 29, should also be reversed.
Focus on what should "have been" if the checks were not deducted in June.

Hope this helps.

I'm still trying to process your explanation here....???

Let me show you what is in my thought process. I'm going to plug some numbers/create a scenario. 

Let's say you have:
Cash in Bank:  .....................................$20.00
Amt spent/deducted from bank balance:  <$30.00>
= Overdraft amount: ........................... <$10.00>

So that now if we REVERSE the $30.00 "amount spent" altogether [to correct the recording error]....that puts our "Cash in Bank" back where it originally was (=$20.00).  We don't have to worry with an overdraft balance...because once we REVERSED the $30.00...an overdraft no longer exist.

Unfortunately...I'm still a little lost as to why you subract the overdraft amount in calculating year end current assets. :-(

FAR 63, 71, 67, 70, 80
PRAISE GOD--I'M DONE!!! :-)
Back to Top View Kookie's Profile Search for other posts by Kookie

Kookie
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 12:32 | IP Logged  

LosingIt wrote:
I'm with you Kookie. It doesn't make sense to me either. If on June 28 the cash balance is, let's say, $20,000 and on the 29th you cut checks for $30,000 this will give you the $10,000 overdraft. Since the checks was not mailed until the next period, an entry would be processed to "reverse" the $30,000 checks still in possession as of June 29 bringing the account back up to the $20,000. Why does anything have to be done with the $10,000?

Ahhh..this is exactly what I just wrote in reply!!!  I'm kinda glad I'm not alone here. I still can't figure the logic behind this one out, though!! :-(

FAR 63, 71, 67, 70, 80

FARleft
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 13:15 | IP Logged  

Kookie,

I think I see what you are looking at, in tandem with the earlier explanation, let me clarify why the ($10,000) overdraft must be deducted.

The $30,000 created the overdraft, but due to timing issue it should have never happened. The overdraft caused Gold Corp to go from having assets (CASH) to now owing the Bank (overdraft).

The ($10,000) overdraft will then be more of a liabililty or an expense(IT MUST BE REPAID/Bank will take it from the account), therefore that is why it was deducted.
Writing the check in one period and mailing them in another period creates a reconciling difference. Any other transactions (overdraft) arising due to this difference would be zeroed out to make Gold Corp whole as if nothing happened.

Here's another way to look at it

If you overdraft your personal account due to buying Becker material you no longer have an asset of cash, but you will owe the bank for the amount that you overdraft by plus fees, then the amount of the overdraft becomes a liability or an expense to you, which must be repaid.
But if Becker then  said all the study material should be given to you for free and charge for the material should not have happened and they will refund you the expenses including the overdraft to make you whole again, then there is no transaction affecting your bank account.

I hope this clarify the reasoning.

Back to Top View FARleft's Profile Search for other posts by FARleft

Kookie
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 13:31 | IP Logged  

FARLeft,

Thanks a lot for the explanation(s)!!  I think I'm finally comprehending this problem!!  I especially liked the Becker example you provided.  Makes a lot of sense to me now!!!!!! :-) Thanks again!

FAR 63, 71, 67, 70, 80

ricky30043

Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 13:53 | IP Logged  

You are not actually subtracting the overdraft amount, that is the balance on the books in the cash account (-10,000).  Think of it like this instead:

<10> ------ Cash on Books

+30 ----->>ADD BACK:  checks not mailed until July

20 ----- Cash Account

35 ----- Accts Rec

58 ----- Inv

12 ----- Prepaid Exp

100 --- Land Held for resale

225 ------Total Current Assets

That's how I looked at it anyway

AUD - 02/2011 - Fail
REG - 05/2011
State - GA