Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
 CPAnet Forum : Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
Subject Topic: Is this test graded too easily? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Coastergenius
Regular
Regular

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 08:24 | IP Logged  

I know I may be clobbered for this comment, and believe me, I wouldn't have said this a few months ago, or even when I was having a panic attack during my FAR exam.  But after getting my 84 back on my FAR, and reflecting upon it, it made me think: is this exam (for now this discussion just refers to the FAR exam) curved too much, rather than the test takers making it a more realistic exam?

I've posted on this board a few times about my experience with it, but I basically completely blew my timing on the sims, guessed through many of them, and basically had 15 minutes to do the whole 2nd sim and WC. I ended up with the aforementioned 84, a stronger on the MC (after getting a "medium" 3rd testlet) and a stronger on the simulations. 

My point is that I do not feel that somebody that screwed up as much as I did on the sims deserves a "stronger." I mean, I studied my butt off, and feel that I know the material, but I feel that I screwed up on the test. At a certain point, is it a good idea to time pressure the candidates so much that it's a guessing game at the end, and they pass just about anybody who writes down a few accounts and numbers?  If we're supposed to be entrusted with protecting public interest, wouldn't it make sense if they gave you 5 hours (or a time period that would enable 50-60% of takers finish comfortable without any more time needed) but took away the generous curve, and increased the number correct you had to get right, and graded less generously on the sims?

Oh well, I still have two more exams to pass (BEC and REG), but I guess that this just might fall into the category of "I would never want to be in a social club that would have me as a member."  I'd like to know other people's opinion on the way that they do FAR (and REG from what I've heard).
Back to Top View Coastergenius's Profile Search for other posts by Coastergenius

1/2 CPA
Regular
Regular

Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 08:55 | IP Logged  

Don't forget this is entry level. This doesn't make you a partner just qualifies you for entry level CPA work. You become a good CPA by experience. 
Back to Top View 1/2 CPA's Profile Search for other posts by 1/2 CPA

Celyn
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:40 | IP Logged  

I have taken FAR twice. The first time, I didn't even get
to 2nd sim. The second time, I was extremely rushed. A big
part of passing this test it timing it correctly. There
were at least 2 long MCQ that I think I could have figured
out the answer to, but I didn't want to waste my valuable
time. So I guessed. I consider myself a pretty fast test
taker. Test are usually timed so the average person can
finish it in the amount of time allowed. I do think they
are rushing us a bit. I wouldn't mind if they upped the
standards, but made it five hours or so.

potatogun
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 13:38 | IP Logged  

As was said above the cpa doesn't make you. It's the experience that really matters after you have your license.

Plus op it looks like you took it twice and you're wondering if it is too easy? The cpa is easier than say the cfa though sure.

Round1
Regular
Regular

Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 01:55 | IP Logged  

If I would be you, OP, I'd delete some parts of your comment, lol! Yet, I think there are several issues with the testing process itself:

1. The time allocated to complete a part of an exam: imo, 3 hrs for REG and 4 hrs - for FAR are not near enough for the huge amount of information tested. The sims should be shorter: 1 or 2 tabs plus a WC part. I'm still talking about the 2010 year exam format.

2. The wording on most MCQs is quite tricky; it seems that 'they' play some sort of "Gotcha" game with candidates. Accordingly, a lot of time is spent on MCQs instead of sims.

3. I think you'd have a valid point (complaining about the grading/curving process) only if sims would have been more basic and if the amount of information tested would correlate with that 4hr time constraint. I think there is a discrepancy between what is tested and what is needed to protect the public... Like, let's set the bar extremely high, and then, when people just can't do it the intended way and within the time limit, let's review and adjust the results accordingly. The testing itself went into some stratospheric dimentions in terms of difficulty. I hope things will change for the better in 2011.

4. I don't beat myself for getting a passing score, 'cause I was stronger on MCQs too. I worked all those questions to get to the right answer; I'm pretty sure that I got  sims right (the parts that I was able to finish, aka only 1st sim).  It means that I know the required minimum to protect the public; I just ran out of time. Would you imply that those situations (from the sims) do accurately portray what you see in your day-to-day activity as an accountant? I doubt that. At least, in real life you have more time than those 7-9 minutes to complete a tab from a sim.

ps. When I've got my 74, I felt like I should've passed this exam the first time around. It's all about the time management!!! At least, I'm not a fast test taker: this worked against me both in REG and FAR.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version