Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
 CPAnet Forum : Exam Results, Scoring & Licensure
Subject Topic: Is this test graded too easily? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
BPLee2

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 09:33 | IP Logged  

This presents an interesting question...

Some stats:

http://www.mncpa.org/cpa-exam/exam-facts/exam-statistics.asp x

Since 2005, the passing rates have gone up from the low 40%'s to around 50%. If I had to try and explain, I'd credit the rise to the change in exam structure. In 2004, the CPA Exam switched from a paper and pencil, twice a year format to the current computerized format. During that time, people and review courses have managed to "figure out" the system to maximize the number of people who pass the exam in a given year.

So I'd say the exam isn't necessarily any easier... quite the opposite, I'd say the questions are harder with the computerized exam. However, the ability to focus on one section instead of four, and the wide array of review materials have made candidates better prepared.

REG: 89 (11/10)
Back to Top View BPLee2's Profile Search for other posts by BPLee2

Coastergenius
Regular
Regular

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 10:59 | IP Logged  

Again, I wasn't exactly saying that the test itself is too easy, I realize that it's a monster of an exam, and REG and FAR are extremely time-pressured, and you're lucky to finish.  My objection is just that they have to grade the test so easily to get people to pass.  It seems to me that if they're trying to protect public interest they should make an exam that reasonably gives you a chance to show what you know, and not just how you're able to beat the system (getting the right review course, memorizing how to answer multiple choice questions and how to maximize your points for the computer graded sims, and how to race through an exam).

It seems to me that a manager would rather you do the work right the first time than have you rush through it, and get 60-70% right. 
Back to Top View Coastergenius's Profile Search for other posts by Coastergenius

1/2 CPA
Regular
Regular

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 13:25 | IP Logged  

You know coastergenius if it is so easy why didn't you ace the exams? why did you fail an exam? why did you change your signiture line and exclude your failing grade?

You say you blew your timing and had to guess thru much of your sims and then you ask is this test to easy. You have got to be kidding. If you can't handle the pressure of a timed test then how are you going to handle the pressures of being a CPA.

If someone got one here who had scored all 99's on all four test and ask this question then I might be inclined to believe it was to easy, for them but not for you.

I answered earlier trying to ignore your arrogance but you continue to slap people in the face who have and continue to struggled with this exam insulting their intelligence. I don't believe their are many folks on this forum that think this test was easy for you. You don't make yourself look smarter by saying the exam was too easy just arrogant.

I freely admit it was a difficult exam for me, all four parts even though I was able to pass all on the first sitting. I gladly take my 75 in audit even though I thought I nailed it, 75 in Far, 76 in BEC and 85 in REG even though I thought i did better.

I'll trust the AICPA  judgement on who they think is qualified to represent the public over your opinion. They been at it a little longer than you and they have did a fine job so far. 

Back to Top View 1/2 CPA's Profile Search for other posts by 1/2 CPA

1/2 CPA
Regular
Regular

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 13:49 | IP Logged  

Good news Coastergenius the rumor is the new passing score will be 90. The AICPA decided after the Bernie Madoff case the passing score should be raised to regain the public trust and to ensure this never happens again. Of course this might put you out of a job, darn it. Can you say " fries with that burger"
Back to Top View 1/2 CPA's Profile Search for other posts by 1/2 CPA

Round1
Regular
Regular

Posted: 26 Dec 2010 at 16:19 | IP Logged  

Coastergenius wrote:
It seems to me that if they're trying to protect public interest they should make an exam that reasonably gives you a chance to show what you know, and not just how you're able to beat the system (getting the right review course, memorizing how to answer multiple choice questions and how to maximize your points for the computer graded sims, and how to race through an exam).

It seems to me that a manager would rather you do the work right the first time than have you rush through it, and get 60-70% right. 

Becker's instructors would tell us: "We don't teach you accounting here, we teach you HOW to pass this test." That's exactly what you, Coastergenius, are trying to say.

I agree that you can be a very smart person (accountant), and yet, not being to pass this test. There are definitely some additional test-taking skills necessary to acquire in order to pass this test. That's the main reason WHY many review courses are so popular, enabling them to ask prohibitively high prices (in some instances). They've got that "know how" asset, which represents the huge goodwill (unrecognized yet, lol) on their books. But the same goodwill translates into their high prices and market value.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version