Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Career Talk
 CPAnet Forum : Career Talk
Subject Topic: Macc - CSUF or out of state? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
junilerick

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 05:39 | IP Logged  

Hey Everybody,

So a little background about myself - I'm a 27 year old finance graduate from CSUF going through a quarter life crisis and desperately trying to improve my
career situation. I've only been working for about 2 years (graduated late between coming from overseas, switching majors, and taking a year off) and have
been stuck in an unrelated "account manager" job with zero prospects and little pay. I can only blame myself for not interning/networking and for accepting
the very first job offered. I've matured a lot living in the real world, and am coming to the conclusion that if I don't want to be waiting for social
security checks to buy groceries at 70, I either need to go back to school or get lucky landing a new gig.

I've been applying like a mad man for about a month but not much worthwhile has been coming back. I've been noticing that for the jobs I'm interested in (real
estate, finance, and accounting primarily), accounting is king in getting your foot in the door. At the very least, most accounting backgrounds will have
decent job security and pay. So lately I've been looking into how to change careers and from what I've been reading, Macc is the way to go.

Where I currently live with family, I can reasonably attend CSUF, UCI, CSULB, and Chapman while working full, maybe half time. CSUF, in particular, would
probably only cost me around $10K. However, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems except for USC no other school in California carries the same prestige of a
top program or the best recruiting. USC is very expensive both in tuition and living, since I would likely have to move out of family home to near LA, not to
mention the difficulty of getting in.

Given the above, my questions are as follows:

Does a Macc provide any job prospects if I don't get recruited and takes me a while to complete the CPA?

While CSUF may have a respectable accounting program, I hear the recruiting is pretty lackluster and has a fairly unimpressive exam pass rate (43.8% for
first-time testing events in 2015). Do I really want to be going here to save a few bucks (well.. more like 35K)?

...or should I seriously consider an out of state program that is highly ranked and recruited, yet still lower in cost and maybe difficultly in getting in
than USC? I've been considering A&M, AZ State, BYU, IU, UW, to name a few.

Will I have trouble getting into Big 4 if I graduate around 29 with an undergrad GPA of 3.36 (my business GPA is good, but really bombed my first year when
in CS)? If yes, should I just go to CSUF?

If so, are there many other solid career paths?What concentration would you recommend purely in terms of job outlook/compensation?

Any concentrations that would prepare me for real estate, both professionally and in personal investing?

Thank you!
Back to Top View junilerick's Profile Search for other posts by junilerick

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version