Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Career Talk
 CPAnet Forum : Career Talk
Subject Topic: Massachusetts Non-reporting CPA for FP&A (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jonny Quest

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 10:32 | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I will have completed my Masters in Accounting in 2016 and qualify for MA's non-reporting CPA license. My career goals are more finance-oriented than accounting, but long-term I think I'd like to move into a decision-making role on the "business side" of things, possibly as an owner or exec (finance or otherwise) at a small-mid-size company. In the short-term, FP&A (focus on modeling and forecasting) is the career path I'd like to pursue the most, but am open to other roles ranging from public audit to finance rotational programs to research positions in "high finance" (have prior experience + connections if I wanted this).

I am strongly considering earning a CPA license via the non-reporting route MA offers, as I could become a "CPA" upon completing the exams. Contrast this with the 4+ years required to become a CFA, or 2+ for CMA, and couple it w/ the CPA's universal recognition across industries and business functions (everyone knows a "CPA" understands "the numbers"), and the CPA offers the most bang for your buck in my opinion.

Having interned in FP&A already and securities research for an i-bank, and having spoken with CFOs at F500s and mid-size private firms, the CPA still appears to be the regarded by HR as the premier designation in almost all circumstances, with maybe the CFA beating it for things like sell-side/buy-side research + asset management. And, having worked with senior execs with varied levels of accounting & financial acumen, the ability for an FP&A professional to be "trusted" is critical. Having a CPA conveys to internal clients that I know what I'm doing, and increases my ability to influence business decisions. Additionally, the exam process will help me learn to manage my time, deal with pressure (waiting 1 month for results...), and cover topics important to business and financial management. I have a window of ~6 months before I graduate to dedicate toward the CPA prior to working, so factoring in initial app+NTS time+blackout months, I could feasibly complete 3-4 exams and become a CPA in Fall '16.

So I am pretty certain I want to do this. And I am aware the content of the exams not directly applicable to my work in the type of FP&A role I'm pursuing. Do you people see any reason not to earn a non-reporting CPA license for someone not expecting to work in public or private accounting?

Thanks to you all in advance.
Back to Top View Jonny Quest's Profile Search for other posts by Jonny Quest

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version