Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Career Talk
 CPAnet Forum : Career Talk
Subject Topic: Opinion on accounting courses at LSU? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tumbler

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 09:59 | IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a little while and saw several people recommending the online accounting courses at LSU (www.is.lsu.edu).  My undergraduate degree was in Finance and I am looking to become a CPA, so I have quite a few classes to take before I am eligible to sit for the exam (NY state).  For those of you that took courses at LSU, I have a few questions:

1.  The format says "online"... does this include videotaped lectures/slides (similar to Auburn) or is it mainly just online correspondence?

2.  Did the classes prepare you adequately for the CPA?

3.  Were the classes difficult?

4.  Do you think I'll have any trouble using these to satisfy the NY state requirements?  I called yesterday and a guy on the phone said I'd be fine as long as they include proctored exams, but I'd like to know if anyone has actual experience with this?

5.  Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much for the help!

Back to Top View tumbler's Profile Search for other posts by tumbler

tumbler

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 14:28 | IP Logged  

Anybody....?
Back to Top View tumbler's Profile Search for other posts by tumbler

purpular

Posted: 15 Sep 2008 at 20:10 | IP Logged  

I'm interested in the same.  Looking to satisfy the 150 hour Georgia education requirement for as little cost as possible.  :-)

FAR    79    5/08
AUD    67    8/08
REG    ??    11/08
Back to Top View purpular's Profile Search for other posts by purpular

HillbillyLawyer
Contributor
Contributor

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 00:31 | IP Logged  

LSU was already offering "Distance Education" long before/decades before it was even known as distance education.  My dad got correspondence accounting credit through LSU approximately 45 or 50 years ago.

Since 2002, I have been taking classes through their program.  Intermediate I & II, Income Tax, Cost, Auditing, and Finance.  I am currently taking Advanced ACCT.

I am already studying for the auditing section of the CPA Exam, and am about send in my application to sit for the exam.  Based on the wording of the regs/statutes in my jurisdiction, I do not foresee any problem.

1)  The classes I have taken have simply been online correspondence, i.e., you submit your lessons online.

2)  I feel like I am prepared as well as classes are going to prepare me.  Of course, I am about to take the exam and may be "rudely awakened."  I have had 9 graduate hrs as part of my MBA curriculum (AACSB online), and my LSU material served as the prereqs--I was adequately prepared for that.  (4.0 in 30 hrs, including 9 grad hrs, of ACCT).  Also, I was taking Cost through LSU and Advanced Managerial through my MBA program about the same time; similar material; LSU coverage seemed comparatively adequate.

I am very disciplined.  ACCT is a subject that really lends itself to self-study IF you are very disciplined.  Even in face2face Principles of ACCT (Intro) classes, I read every chapter twice.  I do the same thing w/LSU correspondence courses.  If I don't get something, I email the professor for an explanation.  For my mode of learning it works well.

3)  Difficult in accounting depends on the person.  In most every ACCT class I have had that entailed interaction with other students (which LSU correspondence will not), there have been several who thought it is rough and others who do not think it's so bad.  I enjoy working through problems that involve some apparent form of logic; I have found something academically challenging/intriguing in every accounting class I have ever taken.

Sorry for going around the barn with this response.  The short answer is, I put the work into the classes; reading the chapters twice; working the homework assignments thoroughly; studying the notes on graded homework; utilizing study guides; thoroughly reviewing for exams--but I simply do not find accounting difficult.  That's just how I'm wired, though.

4)  Suggestion--see if that "a guy on the phone" will put it in writing.  (I'm assuming he is with the NY state board).  Perhaps rather than asking him over the phone if he will put it in writing, call him back, tell him you keep thinking of questions, and get his name and address or email, send a list of specific questions in written form, and hopefully he will respond in writing.  (He may become wary if you just call up and ask "will you put it in writing."  If he puts it in writing, put it in a safe deposit box.  No guarantees, but that would put you in a better position should someone down the line say no after you've earned your credits.

You are not going to beat $250 per class (not per hour) for AACSB accounting credit.

5) Perhaps the best part is the entitlement to a feeling of kindredness when the LSU Tigers repeat their national football championship.

No joke--I think it's a quality program.  But hopefully I'll be able to say so a little more authoritatively in the next few months after a couple of sections of the Exam.

Best wishes!

Back to Top View HillbillyLawyer's Profile Search for other posts by HillbillyLawyer

purpular

Posted: 16 Sep 2008 at 11:31 | IP Logged  

Thank you for all the information.  I really appreciate it. 

When you take your exams through the on-line classes, do you have them proctored?  How many credits do you have through LSU?

FAR    79    5/08
AUD    67    8/08
REG    ??    11/08
Back to Top View purpular's Profile Search for other posts by purpular

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version